Monday, September 22, 2008

Relate the Course Material as a Story

From: http://teaching.berkeley.edu/compendium/suggestions/file142.html

IF YOU WANT TO:


Have a more interesting style of presentation


YOU MAY WISH TO CONSIDER:
Looking for ways to relate the course material as a story.

"I always try to tell some kind of story," says a teacher in the biological sciences. "My primary belief about communication is that it doesn't matter what you say if you can't get them to listen."

In describing his preparation for a lecture for a large class he says, "Because I already know the material very well, most of the preparation goes on in my head for several days. Then, the night before, I begin to concentrate on it very intensely; it's a little like the `psyching yourself up' that actors or football players describe before a performance or a big game. Then I begin to outline the lecture, focusing on the major points and how they might be told as a story."


Limitations on Use of Suggestion


Discipline: None
Course Level: None
Course Size: None
Mode: None


Copyright 1983 by the Regents of the University of California

No comments:

Post a Comment