Thursday, February 14, 2008

Time Killers

The following link offers common ways that people use time ineffectively.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~facultycenter/weekly_teaching_note_jan_21_2008.shtml

Do any of these seem familiar?

1. Checking email too often or keeping the “you have mail” indicator on

I'm guilty of this one myself. Email is the first thing I do every morning at work -- sometimes for up to an hour or even two hours. Then, I'm checking it throughout the day. (I don't have the same problem with voicemail; with voicemail, I have the opposite problem: remembering to check it at all.)

2. Being a perfectionist when it's not necessary, overdoing the non-critical 80%

I have perfectionist tendencies, but I've learned to keep them in check. :)


3. Putting off the unpleasant 2-minute task (all day)

This goes to my last post about Stephen Covey. If an unpleasant task falls in the "urgent & important" category, just do it. But I'd say, if it doesn't fall in that category, putting it off may or may not be a bad thing.


4. Adding more and more – and more – content or factual material to lectures

How much content do you need for one lecture anyway? :)


5. Surfing the internet while doing research

Surfing isn't always bad. If you haven't checked out http://www.stumbleupon.com, give it a try. It's the ultimate way to kill time. Remember, though, not to use it when you have serious business to attend to! Also remember that it's important to schedule regular breaks. Work hard for 15 minutes (or an hour), and then remember to play for a few minutes.


6. Not finding valid shortcuts for tasks

Finding a shortcut isn't cheating; it's smart.


7. Not scheduling regular time for important tasks such as writing

Trust me: if I didn't make specific time to write, I would never write. The same goes for anything: studying, researching, practicing a musical instrument, exercising, etc. Make time for what's important. Get yourself on a schedule.


8. Doing things that other people say are urgent but are not

In the end, you are the one that must decide what is "urgent" and what isn't. And, again, remember Covey: some things very well may be urgent, but are they both urgent and important?


9. Allowing interruption while working on important tasks

Yes, not all interruptions can be avoided, but do your best to avoid the interruptions that you can control. :)

1 comment:

  1. Bret,
    Thank you for the suggestions. I am happy to learn that you have perfectly mastered the attitude of being satisfied with non-perfection.
    Seriously, there is some good informaton here.

    ReplyDelete