Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ancient Chinese Secret

"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I may remember. But involve me and I'll understand." -- Chinese Proverb

So what's wrong with a PowerPoint lecture for an entire class period? After all, we have all of this great technology in the classroom; shouldn't we use it? But is it "smart" to use "smart rooms" in this fashion? It almost seems like we paid $4000 per room for overhead projectors, which makes about as much sense as a solid gold toliet.

I know lectures, and even PowerPoints, have their proper place. But the next time you do one for an entire 85 minute period, ask yourself: "Are my students actively engaged?" How much of the lecture will they forget tomorrow (or as soon as they are tested)?

Be sure to check out the following link. Lots of good Active Learning techniques here for you to incorporate into your classes:

http://www.calstatela.edu/dept/chem/chem2/Active/

No comments:

Post a Comment